- At SCIE, the College curriculum is delivered through the medium of English, thereby enabling students upon graduation to pursue a course of further study at an international educational institution
- A programme of English support is provided to help students to develop their English skills, thus enabling them to access the curriculum
- SCIE provides an environment where English is the language of choice
- SCIE provides a bilingual work environment for the administrative staff
- The curriculum shall be delivered through the medium of English with the exception of Chinese language courses
- All students shall address English speaking staff in English at all times
- English shall be the means of communication during clubs and activities and other extra-curricular activities operated by the staff at SCIE ( eg. sports matches, variety shows, etc.)
- Administrative and support staff shall conduct inter-departmental business in English (with ongoing support)
- Parents are encouraged to take an active interest in the development of their child’s language skills
The College is responsible for providing appropriate and stimulating resources to promote the use of English inside and outside the classroom.
The College is also responsible for providing ongoing training and support for its non-native (Chinese) English-speaking teachers and administrative staff. Such support shall include English language and teaching courses aimed at enhancing both general English language skills and creative teaching skills using English as the primary language.
Additionally, expatriate teachers and administrators will act as English “mentors” on a voluntary basis to further improve the communicative skills of the local teaching and administrative staff.
HOD’s are responsible for ensuring that Schemes of Work are relevant to the context of the College, and that the content is accessible to students, whilst maintaining coverage of the general curriculum.