Head of Faculty - English and Modern Languages (Chinese, Spanish, Japanese, French)
Job Title: Head of Faculty – English and Modern Languages (Chinese, Spanish, Japanese, French)
Employment Type: Full Time
Start Date: 1st August 2022
This role is a senior leadership role with responsibility for a large faculty of 20 – 40 high school teachers as well as carrying a whole-school responsibility for some aspect of the college. Applicants are welcomed from teachers with relevant teaching and leadership experience.
Principal Purpose of Position:
To be responsible for leadership and development of the faculty, ensuring high quality of teaching and learning.
About the School:
Founded in 2003, SCIE is the city’s first full-time high school (Year 10 to Year 13) teaching an international curriculum. SCIE is a highly selective day and boarding school teaching an international curriculum to Chinese students preparing them for overseas universities. Using English as the medium of instruction and communication, SCIE offers IGCSE and GCE AS and A-levels, mainly through Cambridge International. SCIE is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the WASC. We are also a member school of the regional organisations EARCOS and FOBISIA.
The mission of the College is to educate students in a challenging, international environment leading to academic achievement at the highest level, and to develop social responsibility, creativity, independence and enthusiasm, providing each student with the best preparation for future opportunities.
Students at SCIE aspire to attend the best overseas universities. The class of 2021 received 31 Oxbridge offers in a diverse range of subjects including Architecture and Experimental Psychology in addition to the traditional strong presence in Engineering, Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Many students also go on to other universities in the Russel Group, US Ivy League and other top institutions around the world, including schools for Art and Design, Music, and Hospitality Management.
SCIE has very diversified staff who come from more than 20 countries, not only UK, New Zealand, the United States and Australia, but also Canada, Colombia, India, Ireland, South Africa and Spain. Currently, the College has over 160 full-time teachers and 70 administrative staff members.
In August 2020, the College moved to its new purpose-built campus in Antuoshan, Shenzhen. The new site is fully equipped for the College expansion with smart classrooms, a large number of science laboratories, a 750-seat theatre, sports facilities and all that we need to facilitate the high quality teaching and learning of the College community. The top floor, with a comfortable staff lounge, gym and designated areas for meetings and CPD, is accessible to staff only. Accommodation is provided in our adjacent staff apartment building of a minimum two-bedroom furnished standard.
Antuoshan is in Futian, the CBD district of Shenzhen. The campus is within walking distance to international shops, supermarkets and restaurants. It is a stones’ throw away from the Antuo Hill subway station, giving easy and convenient access to the city’s extensive metro network.
- To be part of the Senior Leadership Team and line manager for relevant Heads of Subject.
- To maintain a professional and effective faculty working environment, including the support and development of subject leaders to maintain the highest quality of teaching and learning
- To manage faculty staff, including assisting with recruitment, task allocation and goal setting. To ensure objective and fair appraisal of all faculty members.
- To support with the development, analysis and review of the faculty. To coordinate production of faculty reports and action plans as well as their implementation.
- To develop assessment strategies and the collection of suitable data for the faculty; liaise with the exams officer to ensure all external assessment criteria are met.
- To create a program of professional development for the faculty, to develop innovations that improve and extend student learning and coordinate the development of the faculty, in line with the wider college goals.
- To ensure suitable publicity and promotion of the faculty both internally and externally.
- To coordinate gifted and talented activities within the faculty in accordance with the college policies.
- To take the lead and manage a whole college responsibility based on skills and experience.
- Any other allocated tasks consistent with the principal purpose of the position.
According to our published salary scale, including responsibility allowance and school apartment provided, full international medical cover (self + dependent) and annual flight allowance (self + spouse).
Apply by letter with CV to email@example.com
References will be taken up including direct contact with your current, or most recent employer for a safeguarding reference check and to confirm clearance from contract commitment.
Please find more information for our school in the official website: https://www.scie.com.cn/