Head of Faculty – Mathematics and Computer Science
Job Title: Head of Faculty – Mathematics and Computer Science
Employment Type: Full Time
Start Date: 1st August 2023
The person appointed will have
- Passion for their subject and the ability to inspire students and staff
- Two years experience in a senior leadership role
- Evidence of involvement in whole-school strategic planning
- Expertise with UK curriculum in one or both of the subject areas
- Degree in area of expertise for teaching
- Teaching qualification (PGCE, MEd or equivalent)
Principal Purpose of Position:
This role is a senior leadership role with responsibility for a large faculty of over 25 high school teachers as well as carrying a whole-school responsibility for some aspect of the college. The Head of Faculty will directly line manage heads of Subject; currently G level Mathematics, A level Mathematics, Further Mathematics, and Computer Science. To be responsible for leadership and development of the faculty, ensuring high quality of teaching and learning.
The person appointed will
- Set high personal expectations of teaching, professionalism, professional development and management
- Be able to teach high achieving students, including those going on to Oxbridge, Ivy League or equivalent caliber universities
- Lead professional development to encourage high-quality learning
- Enhance provision and oversight of their whole-school responsibility
Brief Description of SCIE:
UK curriculum high school (Cambridge International AS/AL & IGCSE) for Chinese students preparing for overseas universities.
The mission of the College is to educate Students in a Challenging, International Environment leading to academic achievement at the highest level, and to develop Social responsibility, Creativity, Independence and Enthusiasm, providing each student with the best preparation for future opportunities.
- Highly selective – English and Mathematics admissions tests
- Medium of instruction & communication – English, with students functioning at first language level
- 2000 students, High school only – UK Key Stages 4 & 5
- Accredited – Fully accredited by Council of International Schools (CIS) & WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges in US)
- Members of the regional schools groups FOBISIA & EARCOS
- Authorised examination centre;
- Cambridge Assessment International (IGCSE, AS and AL for most subjects)
- Edexcel/Pearson qualifications (IGCSE/GCSE English, Japanese, Drama, EPQ & PE)
- Day & boarding school – teachers are not involved in boarding facility nor have evening or night duties
- Founded in 2003
The Head of Mathematics and Computer Science leads a faculty with over 25 teachers for Computer Science, Mathematics and Further Mathematics.
Senior Leadership Responsibilities
- To take the lead and manage a whole college responsibility based on skills and experience. (Preference is for Data Management Lead but alternative roles could be discussed at interview).
- To participate in setting strategic goals for the college.
- To take a leadership role in college wide professional development initiatives and activities
- Conduct classroom observations and learning walks as part of the senior leadership team.
- To act as the line manager for relevant Heads of Subject.
- To create a clear vision for the faculty including setting of strategic goals to further develop teaching and learning.
- To maintain a professional and effective faculty working environment, including the support and development of subject leaders to maintain the highest quality of teaching and learning.
- To manage faculty staff, including assisting with recruitment, task allocation and goal setting. To ensure objective and fair appraisal of all faculty members.
- To coordinate production of faculty reports and action plans as well as their implementation.
- To develop assessment strategies and the collection of suitable data for the faculty including review of student reports. To liaise with the exams officer to ensure all external assessment criteria are met.
- To work with the Academic Deputy Principal to create a program of professional development for the faculty, to develop innovations that improve and extend student learning and coordinate the development of the faculty in line with the wider college goals.
- Any other allocated tasks consistent with the principal purpose of the position.
- Highly motivated academic students
- Average international exam results, grade A/A* across school
- All students complete IGCSE and AS Mathematics with >95% A/A* and >80% a respectively. A majority go on to take AL and a significant number to Further Mathematics.
- Last year our Mathematics and Computer Science students scored ‘Top in China’ for AS Computer Science and AS Further Mathematics, and ‘Top in world’ for IGCSE Additional Mathematics, IGCSE Mathematics, and AS Mathematics,
- 31 Oxbridge offers and over 80% students applying to UK achieve offers from top 10 universities in 2022 cohort.
- US university offers including Stanford, UPenn, Dartmouth, Cornell & Wellesley
- Students achieve success across range of subjects including Arts, Humanities as well as Social Sciences, Natural Science and Mathematics
- Class size maximum 26 at IGCSE and 24 at AS/A Level
- Working week: Monday – Friday 08:00 – 16:30 (with 07:30 start Mondays and early finish 15:00 Fridays)
- Normal contact teaching time – 24 x 40-minute periods per week (approx 55% timetable)
- Personal time – 6 periods per week fixed in timetable when do not need to be at work.
- Extra-Curricular Activity – 1 hour per week ECA after school (16:30 – 17:30)
- CPD – large range of professional development available both online and face-to-face.
- Holidays – 1 week for October China National Day holiday, 2 weeks Christmas holiday, 3 weeks Chinese New Year holiday, Chinese public holidays, mid-June to early August Summer holiday.
- Published fixed salary scale (reviewed annually) based on years of teaching experience and annual progression at SCIE
- Position allowance
- School provided accommodation (Expat apartments adjacent to campus)
- Full international medical cover (self + dependent)
- Annual flight allowance (self + spouse)
- Staff Well-being program
- Dedicated staff gym in campus
Apply by letter with CV to email@example.com
Please include a description of expected whole-school responsibility.
Application deadline by January 7th 2023 for the 1st Round of recruitment. Online interviews will be arranged for mid-late January.
References will be taken up including direct contact with your current, or most recent employer for a safeguarding reference check and to confirm clearance from contract commitment.
Shortlisted candidates will be provided with a scenario related to the whole-school responsibility indicated in their application for further discussion.
Please find more information for our school on the official website：