Teacher of Computer Science(AS/AL & IGCSE and Possible Head of Subject)
Job Title: Teacher of Computer Science(AS/AL & IGCSE and Possible Head of Subject)
Employment Type: Full Time
Start Date: 1st August 2023
WELCOME TO SCIE – STRIVING TO BE THE BEST
- AS/AL & IGCSE Computer Science
- Enjoy teaching students who want to learn at the highest level
- Quality of life matters – teaching load only 55% timetable so you don’t need to take work home
- Fully CIS & WASC accredited school
- Direct UK teaching experiences preferred
- Minimum 2 years AL/IGCSE (and EPQ) teaching experience in the relevant area
- Ability to teach high achieving students
- Degree in area of expertise for teaching
- Teaching qualification (PGCE, MEd or equivalent)
Brief Description of SCIE:
UK curriculum high school (Cambridge International AS/AL & IGCSE) for Chinese students preparing for overseas universities.
The mission of the College is to educate Students in a Challenging, International Environment leading to academic achievement at the highest level, and to develop Social responsibility, Creativity, Independence and Enthusiasm, providing each student with the best preparation for future opportunities.
- Highly selective – English and Mathematics admissions tests
- Medium of instruction & communication – English, with students functioning at first language level
- 2000 students, High school only – UK Key Stages 4 & 5
- Accreditation – Fully accredited by Council of International Schools (CIS) & WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges in US) and regional members of FOBISIA & EARCOS
- Examinations – AS/AL, IGCSE (Cambridge International), (I)GCSE (Edexcel) – English, Japanese, Drama & EPQ
- Day & boarding school – teachers are not involved in boarding facility nor have evening or night duties
- Founded in 2003
Due to the expansion in our college, the Computer Science department will expand from its current 5 full-time teachers to about 8 teachers by 2024. Teachers will have a variety of classes from IGCSE Computer Science in UK Years 10 and 11 and AS/AL Computer Science in UK Years 12 and 13. Computer Science is popular throughout the school and results are high, with about 70% achieving A/A* at IGCSE and nearly two thirds at A-Level. The students are enthusiastic about coding, and there are several extra-curricular groups with their own computing projects and interests. Each year several students choose to apply to Computer Science courses in top universities in the UK and US.
We are looking for computer science teachers with experience of A-Level and strong coding skills (especially Java and Python) to join the team in this exciting period of development and expansion. Knowledge of Robotics and Raspberry with experience of teaching computer science at the highest levels, particular focus on the ability to facilitate extension classes in computer science will be an added advantage.
- Highly motivated academic students
- Average international exam results, grade A/A* across school
- 31 Oxbridge offers and over 80% students applying to UK achieve offers from top 10 universities in 2022 cohort.
- US university offers including Stanford, UPenn, Dartmouth, Cornell & Wellesley
- Students achieve success across range of subjects including Arts, Humanities as well as Commerce, Science and Mathematics
- Class size maximum 26 at IGCSE and 24 at AS/A Level
- Huge range of ECAs with over 200 clubs both staff led and student led
- Working week: Monday – Friday 08:00 – 16:30 (with 07:30 start Mondays and early finish 15:00 Fridays)
- Normal contact teaching time – 24 x 40-minute periods per week (approx 55% timetable)
- Personal time – 6 periods per week fixed in timetable when do not need to be at work.
- Extra-Curricular Activity – 1 hour per week ECA after school (16:30 – 17:30)
- CPD – large range of professional development available both online and face-to-face.
- Holidays – 1 week for October China National Day holiday, 2 weeks Christmas holiday, 3 weeks Chinese New Year holiday, Chinese public holidays, mid-June to early August Summer holiday.
- Form tutor role – most teachers will take on a form group of 20 students with daily mentoring time on the timetable as well as teaching weekly additional period of PSHE. This role attracts an additional allowance
- Pastoral CPD – mandatory safeguarding training as well as other pastoral CPD available
- Published fixed salary scale (reviewed annually) based on years of teaching experience and annual progression at SCIE
- School provided accommodation (Expat apartments adjacent to campus)
- Full international medical cover (self + dependent)
- Annual flight allowance (self + spouse)
- Staff Well-being program
- Dedicated staff gym in campus
Apply by letter with CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
References will be taken up including direct contact with your current, or most recent employer for a safeguarding reference check and to confirm clearance from contract commitment.
Please find more information for our school on the official website：