University Guidance Counsellor
Job Title: University Guidance Counsellor
Employment Type: Full Time
Start Date: 1st August 2023
WELCOME TO SCIE – STRIVING TO BE THE BEST:
- University Counsellor
- Enjoy supporting students who want to learn at the highest level
- Quality of life matters –6 periods of personal time per week
- Fully CIS & WASC accredited school
- A degree in your area of expertise
- A counselling qualification (US counselling certification, British Council certification or equivalent)
- 2+ years counselling experience in the relevant area
Brief Description of SCIE:
UK curriculum high school (Cambridge International AS/AL & IGCSE) for Chinese students preparing for overseas universities.
The mission of the College is to educate Students in a Challenging, International Environment leading to academic achievement at the highest level, and to develop Social responsibility, Creativity, Independence and Enthusiasm, providing each student with the best preparation for future opportunities.
- Highly selective – English and Mathematics admissions tests
- Medium of instruction & communication – English, with students functioning at first language level
- 2000 students, High school only – UK Key Stages 4 & 5
- Accreditation – Fully accredited by Council of International Schools (CIS) & WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges in US) and regional members of FOBISIA & EARCOS
- Examinations – AS/AL, IGCSE (Cambridge International), (I)GCSE (Edexcel) – English, Japanese, Drama & EPQ
- Day & boarding school – teachers are not involved in boarding facility nor have evening or night duties
- Founded in 2003
The University and Careers Office (UCO) is a friendly and professional team that is committed to preparing students for life beyond SCIE. In 2022-2023, we are a team of 12: 2 designated UCO secretaries and 10 counsellors, including the Head of UCO, the USA Universities Coordinator, and the UK Universities Coordinator. As the College expands, the UCO will have 5-6 additional counsellors for the following academic year.
At SCIE, at least 70% of our students apply to the UK through UCAS, and about a third of them apply to the US. Most students apply to multiple destinations, including Canada, Hong Kong and Australia. SCIE students have very high university aspirations. They work zealously to achieve impressive and deserving admissions results, including G5s in the UK, the Ivy League and other highly competitive US and overseas universities. With 31 Oxbridge offers in 2022 and 30 per year since 2019, SCIE has consistently ranked first in China in offers from the two universities. According to the Telegraph, between 2018 and 2020, SCIE has sent the highest number of students to Imperial College London (UK) amongst all schools, including UK ones. The positive attitude, commitment and calibre of the students make them a joy to work with in the University and Careers Office.
As a University Counsellor, you will be guiding and counselling a maximum caseload of 45 A2 (Y13) students through their applications and also being involved in all the other three year groups in their university exploration and planning. The majority of your work is 1:1 university counselling with A1s and A2s, but you will also be expected to teach the G-level enrichment classes and A1 university preparation lessons.
We are looking for candidates with experience supporting students who come from a highly selective education background, while following the British curriculum and aspiring to attend prestigious overseas universities. The ability to facilitate university preparation sessions and an understanding of the Chinese context will be added advantages.
- Highly motivated academic students
- Average international exam results, grade A/A* across school
- 31 Oxbridge offers and over 80% students applying to UK achieve offers from top 10 universities in 2022 cohort.
- US university offers including Stanford, UPenn, Dartmouth, Cornell & Wellesley
- Students achieve success across range of subjects including Arts, Humanities as well as Commerce, Science and Mathematics
- Class size maximum 26 at IGCSE and 24 at AS/A Level
- Huge range of ECAs with over 200 clubs both staff led and student led
- Working week: Monday – Friday 08:00 – 16:30 (with 07:30 start Mondays and early finish 15:00 Fridays)
- Normal contact teaching time – 24 x 40-minute periods per week (approx 55% timetable)
- Personal time – 6 periods per week fixed in timetable when do not need to be at work.
- Extra-Curricular Activity – 1 hour per week ECA after school (16:30 – 17:30)
- CPD – large range of professional development available both online and face-to-face.
- Holidays – 1 week for October China National Day holiday, 2 weeks Christmas holiday, 3 weeks Chinese New Year holiday, Chinese public holidays, mid-June to early August Summer holiday.
- Form tutor role – most teachers will take on a form group of 20 students with daily mentoring time on the timetable as well as teaching weekly additional period of PSHE. This role attracts an additional allowance
- Pastoral CPD – mandatory safeguarding training as well as other pastoral CPD available
- Published fixed salary scale (reviewed annually) based on years of teaching experience and annual progression at SCIE
- School provided accommodation (Expat apartments adjacent to campus)
- Full international medical cover (self + dependent)
- Annual flight allowance (self + spouse)
- Staff Well-being program
- Dedicated staff gym in campus
Apply by letter with CV to email@example.com
Application deadline by December 31st 2022 for the 1st Round of recruitment, and online interview by December/January.
References will be taken up including direct contact with your current, or most recent employer for a safeguarding reference check and to confirm clearance from contract commitment.
Please find more information for our school on the official website：