Academic Deputy Principal (ADP)
Job Title: Academic Deputy Principal (ADP)
Employment Type: Full Time
Start Date: 1st August 2022
Principal Purpose of Position:
To be responsible for leadership and development of the academic programmes of the College and of Teaching and Learning in line with the guiding statements.
We are looking for applicants with strong experience of academic leadership at the senior level, particularly in an A Level programme, who are able to handle all aspects of leading, managing and coordinating the academic programme and developing our high quality teaching and learning. We welcome applications from those who have experience with students applying to Oxbridge and with the processes involved, and who have backgrounds in high achieving secondary schools. Applicants should also consider how they would contribute to the development of our academic programme in line with our guiding statements and within the culture of SCIE, particularly with enhancing our gifted and talented and independent learning provisions.
The College is a large high school currently expanding in our new campus to our maximum of 2000 students over the next two years and the ADP will be direct line manager for our senior leadership Heads of Faculty, who themselves lead their subject teams of teachers and Heads of Subject as well as having their own whole school responsibility.
With the size of the College, each year the ADP will be heavily involved in recruitment of new teachers and the ADP should be familiar with safe-recruitment practices and with interviewing methods for identifying the best potential teachers. They should also be able to continue the development of our teacher quality assurance and our pilot teacher training programme.
As a member of the Principals Team, the ADP will need familiarity with accreditation process and procedures, particularly for CIS, experience in developing strategic planning for the college as a whole as well as for the academic areas and curriculum development.
Examinations and timetabling are not a prerequisite of the ADP as these are run by our Education Administration Office. However, the applicant should have enough familiarity with them to provide relevant input in the timetable creation as well as the academic side of the examination process.
Successful applicants will need to have the skills and experience to take on the full role from the outset and be a productive and effective member of our Principals Team.
About the School:
Founded in 2003, SCIE is the city’s first full-time high school (Year 10 to Year 13) teaching an international curriculum. SCIE is a highly selective day and boarding school teaching an international curriculum to Chinese students preparing them for overseas universities. Using English as the medium of instruction and communication, SCIE offers IGCSE and GCE AS and A-levels, mainly through Cambridge International. SCIE is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the WASC. We are also a member school of the regional organisations EARCOS and FOBISIA.
The mission of the College is to educate students in a challenging, international environment leading to academic achievement at the highest level, and to develop social responsibility, creativity, independence and enthusiasm, providing each student with the best preparation for future opportunities.
Students at SCIE aspire to attend the best overseas universities. The class of 2021 received 31 Oxbridge offers in a diverse range of subjects including Architecture and Experimental Psychology in addition to the traditional strong presence in Engineering, Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Many students also go on to other universities in the Russel Group, US Ivy League and other top institutions around the world, including schools for Art and Design, Music, and Hospitality Management.
SCIE has very diversified staff who come from more than 20 countries, not only UK, New Zealand, the United States and Australia, but also Canada, Colombia, India, Ireland, South Africa and Spain. Currently, the College has over 160 full-time teachers and 70 administrative staff members.
In August 2020, the College moved to its new purpose-built campus in Antuoshan, Shenzhen. The new site is fully equipped for the College expansion with smart classrooms, a large number of science laboratories, a 750-seat theatre, sports facilities and all that we need to facilitate the high quality teaching and learning of the College community. The top floor, with a comfortable staff lounge, gym and designated areas for meetings and CPD, is accessible to staff only. Accommodation is provided in our adjacent staff apartment building of a minimum two-bedroom furnished standard.
Antuoshan is in Futian, the CBD district of Shenzhen. The campus is within walking distance to international shops, supermarkets and restaurants. It is a stones’ throw away from the Antuo Hill subway station, giving easy and convenient access to the city’s extensive metro network.
- Academic programme: ADP is responsible for the leadership and management of the entire academic program and for Teaching and Learning in the College. This includes the following:
- Responsibility for the quality, implementation and review of the curriculum, ensuring High Quality Teaching and Learning and the development of our higher level programmes and extensions
- Responsibility for appraisal of teaching staff. Maintenance and development of standards of competence and professionalism to ensure High Quality Teaching and Learning
- Responsibility for the College assessment, reporting and academic documentation and record keeping
- Responsibility for the Academic induction of new students and the progress and tracking of continuing students
- Production of an annual academic staffing and class allocation plan and oversight of the College timetable and individual timetables for staff and students
- Oversight of the use, review and purchase of educational materials and of technology for teaching and learning
- Managerial position: ADP is direct line manager for the Academic Senior Leadership and overall line manager for all academic staff. ADP is part of the Principals Team and the SLT. The line manager of ADP is the Principal.
- Budget Scrutiny: The approval of ADP is required for expenditure related to Academic programmes.
- Liaison: ADP must work closely with the other members of the Principals Team to ensure that all support and pastoral programs enable the academic program to meet the mission of the College.
- As a Deputy Principal, the ADP will deputise for the Principal as required.
- Any other allocated tasks consistent with the principal purpose of the position.
These responsibilities will be carried out in accordance with the Guiding Statements of the College and with due consideration of Child Safeguarding.
According to our published salary scale, including responsibility allowance and school apartment provided, full international medical cover (self + dependent) and annual flight allowance (self + spouse).
Apply by letter with CV to email@example.com
References will be taken up including direct contact with your current, or most recent employer for a safeguarding reference check and to confirm clearance from contract commitment.
Please find more information for our school in the official website: https://www.scie.com.cn/